Thursday, January 28, 2010

Problem Log

I've finished cleaning the staging area so that I can now run trains on all tracks and have set up 3 trains to run for testing. As expected problems have been found, but so far *none* with the newly built staging track and switches (I expect this to change as the usage intensity increases).

I've created a Problem Log in Excel to record what needs to be done and keep a record of past issues. So far 3 problems have been noted with the track on the main layout. Two of these are where the main layout connects to upper staging, and will require relaying the track. The other is probably a switch cleaning issue. (Note on my post last year about switch frogs I mention that electric frogs are susceptible to losing electrical contact -- I think that is the issue here.) One intermittent coupler problem has been found between a car and a locomotive. And 3 engine problems have been found -- actually I knew about them before, but rediscovered them when I tried those engines again.

My intent is to use the Problem Log as a means of dealing with issues as they come up. This isn't the same as a preventive maintenance log, which I'll need to start as well. I have a roster sheet and I'll add some maintenance columns to that.

Otherwise this week hasn't been as productive as last week due to distractions from work, starting with a business trip. I was able to use some of the off-time on the trip to write up the post on curves and to start work on the next design posts for the iNdoor layout. I have another business trip next week so hope to complete those on that trip.

However, I do need goals to keep going. By the end of this coming weekend I want to have:

  1. Fixed the known track issues,
  2. Decided on and ordered the power management module (circuit breaker) from Mike Gleaton,
  3. Sort out the wiring on the south end of the layout, adjacent to staging, so that it conforms with the newer wiring standards,
  4. And buy and install two more shelves for the power cabinet (it has only two now).
For next week I will install the power management module, initially treating staging as one power district and the rest of the layout as the second district, but with the expectation that this will change as the layout grows. After that is done I should be able to organize the components in the power cabinet into a semi-permanent configuration, with room to grow. Both of those can happen next week and leave time for other stuff.

From there I have a few choices as to next steps, but I'm leaning towards picking up a task I started maybe two years ago and never completed, which is to figure out how to scenic the track on the main layout. There are some special requirements here, which I'll cover in a separate post, and I feel I really should understand the solution before I lay any more mainline track.

No comments:

Post a Comment