Friday, January 29, 2010

Fun, fun, fun

Quick update. First news: we're adding a few more trains and running them. This shows my son adding some cars last night:


I've also made progress on the task list that I mentioned in my last post. Two of the three track problems are resolved. I've ordered the power management module and a few cool new DCC components, which I'll describe in a post when they arrive next week. Since I don't have a DCC programming track set up yet I've started using ops-mode programming, which allows you to change the CVs (configuration variables) for DCC locomotives while they are on the main track. This is so darn convenient that in the future I'll probably only need the programming track for problem diagnosis. Not sure why I took so long to try this feature.

Here's a picture of the power cabinet as it exists right now:


So, obviously there is still a lot left to do, but first let me describe what has been done. The cabinet itself is in place, with rollers on the bottom to allow it to be moved out easily for access underneath the layout. You can't see it in the picture, but in order to fit the cabinet underneath I had to saw a slot at the back of the cabinet, on the top, to fit it around a diagonal brace. One nice side effect is that this prevents the cabinet from moving unintentionally. The cabinet is placed right in front of an outlet.

What I have yet to do is work out how all the components will fit inside the cabinet and finalize the wiring. Actually I don't think I can truly finalize the arrangement until we've operated for a while and seen what components need frequent access, as those should be near the front and top. However, after the power management module arrives next week I'll work out a semi-permanent solution, saving room for future components.

One thing I am sure I'll want is more shelves, so today I'll stop by Home Depot and buy two more. This is a standard Home Depot upper cabinet, intended for installation above a surface, but I've adapted it for under-layout usage by changing the handle locations and adding rollers underneath.

So, we're on track to complete all planned tasks by end of weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment