Friday, January 29, 2010

DCC order

As I noted earlier, I had an email conversation Thursday with Mike Gleaton at Charleston Digital Trains and got some good advice on the power management module.
I then sent in the following order:

  1. PSX4 Power District Circuit Breaker. This the the power management module I decided on. Mike suggested that I probably could get by with the cheaper Digitrax PM42, since N scale with its lower voltage and amperage generally won't run into the same problems HOers commonly report with the PM42. But given my less than positive experience with the PM42 I opted for the upgrade.
  2. UR92 Duplex Radio Tranceiver. Last year Digitrax released the long-rumored two-way radio communication system. Previously the one-way system meant that you had to plug in the radio throttle to change locomotives. The UR92 is the radio base station for the two way. I'll still keep my two one-way UR91s for any one-way throttles I or my visitors may have.
  3. DT402D Duplex Super Radio Throttle. This is the latest and greatest Digitrax throttle, with upgraded functions relative to the DT400R *and* two-way radio communication. As I had only one DT400R I've been wanting to get a second one "someday", and now that my son, father, and I are actually running trains the need for an extra throttle has become apparent. One other nice thing is that Digitrax can upgrade my DT400R to a DT402D (as noted at the bottom of the linked page), which is something I'll do after I receive my new DT402D and get it running.
  4. DN163K2 N Scale Mobile Decoder. This was something I included "as long as I am making an order anyway". I have a Kato SD90/43MAC I got last year which needs a decoder, so this will be it.
Meanwhile, progress continues on my remaining tasks for the week. All the bad track areas are now fixed, I bought the extra shelves for the power cabinet (just have to trim them to fit and install them), leaving me only with the rewiring under layout in the area above the power cabinet. My son and I are also fixing up some cars with minor repair issues that I've been ignoring. So we should have everything on the target list done by Sunday, and even some things not on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment