Monday, February 8, 2010

Comparative shopping

As a follow-on to my post last year about N-scale shopping, here are the results of a price search I did tonight for the remaining track I'll need for the lower deck staging. I needed to order 23 sections of code 80 flex track and 4 #6 code 80 remote switches (2 left, 2 right). While I find pricing on items like locomotives to be very close between the best sites, for some reason there is a lot of variation on track.

Wig-wag: $2.83/piece; 15.98/switch
BLWNscale: $2.95/piece + $7.95 flex track handling charge; $13.35/switch
Wholesaletrains: $2.41/piece; $14.22/switch

I'd forgotten to list wholesaletrains on my post last year, but in digging through past emails I found that I'd ordered most of my Atlas flex track from them, and switches from BLWNscale.

Wig-wag is usually super competitive and are consistent on discounts, so I'm guessing that they don't get quite as good a pricing on track from Atlas as other sites that also sell a lot of HO product. BLWNscale apparently is not interested in the hassle of shipping flex track, but its a mystery how they can offer switches at such a low price. I'm going with wholesaletrains for the switches this time because I'm ordering so few, and a separate order from blwnscale would cost more in additional shipping charges than I'd save in product.

No comments:

Post a Comment