Sunday, April 26, 2009

More mid-tier gluing

Here's where the middle tier is as of tonight:



I did a switch inventory and realized that I have no right switches left. I'm doing a count of Atlas switches needed to complete the lower deck (not tier) of the layout, and will send an order in tonight. There is enough work to keep me busy until they arrive at the end of the week.

I've run out of track salvaged from the first staging attempt, not counting 3 switches. There was about 12' of flex track that had been nailed to the lower tier and was too damaged when removed to be reused -- I tried but it was apparent that it would not operate reliably. I'm starting to use new flex track again with new rerailer track. I'd forgotten how much easier fresh track is to work with. Re-using salvaged track has the advantages of already having feeder wire and rail joiners attached, but the track itself was harder to position and shape as it keeps wanting to go back to its old shape.

I have a bunch of flex track left over from my 2002 N scale layout, and I've used a few sections of it here and there, but I'm putting it aside from now, for two reasons. First, it needs a very intense cleaning to be usable. Second, as noted above, re-used track is harder to position and shape into place, and this very old track is almost brittle. I'd planned to reuse all the 2002 track (about 110' of flex track), thus saving lots of $$$, but I think this is an example where the savings in time may be worth the extra money. I'll include some new flex track in with my switch order tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment