Saturday, March 28, 2009

Wired .... but ...

20 pairs of feeder wire and 5 sets of switch machine wire, including the unwired one from the middle tier, have been completed, and the new track has been cleaned:


Alas, testing this morning found an electrical short somewhere in this picture. I've searched for the obvious causes with the newly installed wire, such as feeder wires reversed or broken wire insulation, and found nothing.

In the back of my mind I knew I should have been testing for shorts with the multi-meter as I made each wiring change -- but I didn't. Lesson learned. I will do so from now on.

When tracking down shorts the first step is to isolate parts of the circuit to narrow down the possible causes. Unfortunately, this is one big circuit except for the AR sections. (Hence the rational for power districts.) This may take some time to locate.

No comments:

Post a Comment