Monday, March 15, 2010

Towards Automated Switches

My goal is to have complete switch automation for the section of the SAMR line on the main layout -- the only part of the main layout that gets regular use now -- by the weekend after next (March 27th). This will require:

  1. Redoing the wiring for that section of the layout to match the new wiring standards.

  2. Installing (or in two cases, re-installing) and tuning Tortoise switch machines for 12 switches.

  3. Appending feeder wires to the 12 switch frogs, and connecting them to the main power busses through an internal Tortoise SPDT switch.

  4. Ordering one more Digitrax DS64, and installing and configuring two DS64s to drive the switch machines. Because 8 of the 12 switches are in crossover pairs only two DS64s, capable of controlling 8 separate switches, will be needed.

  5. Setting the standard for DS64 power, and installing a DS64 power bus.

  6. Setting the numbering standards for the DS64s.

  7. Settling on the method and design of the fascia switch panels.

  8. Building and installing 4 fascia switch panels.

  9. Setting the standard for powering the switch panel lights, and installing the power bus for same.

  10. Wiring switch panel lights, using the other internal Tortoise SPDT switch.
So far I've verified that I can append a feeder wire to the frog of installed Peco switches using the exposed frog wire underneath the switch, and have attached two such wires. I've also settled on the power district boundaries for the lower deck and am about 45% through rewiring power district 2, which is the only PD needed for this project.

I hope to complete the rewiring tomorrow (Tuesday) and then install and tune two Tortoises on Wednesday. This may take longer as I'm trying a new method. I should also send in the order for the next DS64 tomorrow so that I can have it by this time next week.

All in all this is a good goal to have now. It focuses my work on a single, tangible goal (I've tended to be a bit scattered in my efforts lately, as the previous post demonstrates). Furthermore, once done the change will yield an immediate boost to the fun factor of operating the layout. And, finally, once done I'll have resolved quite a few open layout implementation issues, which should speed up subsequent construction.

After this goal is accomplished I'll focus on connecting the middle tier of staging to the main layout.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment