Monday, February 23, 2009

Upper Tier Bridge complete

So, track is in place, wired, cleaned, tuned and tested:


I changed the bridge curve slightly from what I'd planned to better align it with the track on the left. But it's still no tighter than 24" radius at the apex, which is plenty wide.

I haven't cut the rails yet to allow the bridge to be removed. I use a Xuron rail cutter (see figure 13 at the link) for rail cutting, but as good as that is for cutting rail before it is set in place, it makes a large gap if you are cutting in place rail. Better to use a thin saw for the purpose. I think I have one in my old HO equipment box -- if not I'll have to buy one. I'll target completing that task this week.

Otherwise there is a feeling of "downhill from here". It's been 10 weeks since I started dismantling the old staging, but now I've got the triple deck loop and the custom staging bridges in place. From this point I'll complete the upper tier nearest the wall and move forward until staging is complete. I will pre-wire the north end switches, but won't hook them up for remote control yet as they will be reachable by hand. All in all the rest of staging should be just about implementing a known solution -- no more big problems to solve along the way.

So, I've started thinking ahead to the problems post-staging. More on that in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment